[Tagging] Positioning motorway exits

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 09:44:26 UTC 2017

This touches on a "conflict of interest" between two requirements:
(1) OSM tagging practice is to map only physically separated ways as
separate ways in OSM.
(2) A routing algorithm needs to have information about legally separated
ways, e.g. by a continuous white line.

In the specific case the exit for the routing algorithm is at the beginning
of the continuous white line, i.e node
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4337339247
whereas the split of the ways according to the rule of the separate ways
puts it at node https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/370544/, where the
motorway junction is placed at the moment.

To my knowledge there is no agreed upon common practice.

I do not map motorways in Germany, but have mapped motorways and trunk
roads in Italy where we have no established common approach, and you can
find a nice mix of different approaches. I think we should come to a
general best-practice or best-practices agreement. This may imply
country-dependent recommendations.