[Tagging] Positioning motorway exits

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Wed Mar 8 15:19:40 UTC 2017

On 08.03.2017 10:38, Marc Gemis wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 12:47 AM, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:
>> I don't think OsmAnd would have a problem with the node being at the
>> physical separation, in particular if the turn:lanes are tagged correctly.
>> OsmAnd will give advance advice to turn and display the lanes to use.
>
> While OsmAnd might show the turn lanes on time, it does announce the
> distance to the split as the distance to the exit-node. It does not
> inform you about the need to be in the right lane

Well it does show you the turn:lanes that should be mapped in such case,
thereby it informs you to be in the right lane. These turn:lanes would
start in an area where changing lanes is legal.

The rule is to split road ways at physical separation, consistently.
Thus all different data consumers can rely on it.

> based on a (long)
> solid line of several hundred meters
> As Paul Johnson wrote, the change:lanes tag is useful in such cases,
> but OsmAnd does not know about it.

Fine, you found an issue how a data consumer could improve by
implementing a specific tag. Open an issue there and ask for it to be
implemented.

tom