[Tagging] Discouraging frequency=* on power lines and cables

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Wed Mar 8 22:04:42 UTC 2017

Hi François,

Am 2017-03-08 um 15:18 schrieb François Lacombe:
> frequency=* tag aims to qualify active elements on telecom or power
> networks (among others, see wiki
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:frequency)
>
> I see it as an optional property of power lines or cables.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:power%3Dline
>
> In practice, a physical line/cable section isn't operated at, nor designed
> for, any dedicated frequency but it's all about the supported power circuit
> (a logical relation going from a place to another place through the grid).
> It always exists if line is actually powered on.
> We use to map such logical circuits with route=power relations where
> frequency is more relevant.
>
> Can we drop frequency on power lines and cables wiki page ?
> It can't be guess by looking at the line (instead of voltage) in landscape
> and there may be inconsistencies between circuits relations and lines
> members.

frequency=* should not be deprecated (if that is ever possible at OSM at
all) or removed from the wiki page because otherwise mappers are forced
to add a useless relation on every single power line. If you map a power
line, you usually know its frequency. For example, 50 Hz is the default
frequency in Europe. If the line belongs to the separated 16.7 Hz
network, it is signed (signs with the name of the operator, e.g. DB
Energie GmbH at the towers).

Please keep OSM simple. I don't want to add a power route relation on
every tiny minor distribution line/cable (230 V).

Best regards

Michael