[Tagging] Discouraging frequency=* on power lines and cables

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 09:38:39 UTC 2017

Hi David,

> > Le 8 mars 2017 à 23:04, Michael Reichert <nakaner at gmx.net> a écrit :
> >
> > Please keep OSM simple. I don't want to add a power route relation on
> > every tiny minor distribution line/cable (230 V).
> >
> Totally agree with that. I don’t understand the usage of a relation
> binding the distribution network elements: the connections between them can
> be retrieved from the nodes and ways,

Not always:
https://www.google.fr/maps/place/74150+Rumilly/@45.8717133,5.9644766,3a,64.8y,288.41h,97.09t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sc9ie9WHjYs2bM-s5jagK9g!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x478b9d830296190d:0x1ef1a2064da6b8cf

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2560701992

Here you would connect all lines while they are actually not, and sometimes
the two apparently independent circuits are actually connected at such
points. No general rule regarding this.
No relations are currently setup in my example but we'll need to.

> and the relation would merely be use for group tagging. IMHO, the relation
> would only make sense for transport lines, which are often viewed and
> treated as continuous, even if their characteristics change along their
> path (overhead, underground…). At a distribution level, however, this
> sounds overkill to me.

Distribution networks change more often between overhead and underground,
and seems more messy than a A-to-B transmission lines
Have you seen this example ?

By the way, you aren't forced at all to make relations if you don't want
to, right ?
You can join the discussion ongoing on : https://wiki.openstreetmap.
org/wiki/Proposed_features/Power_routing_proposal

All the best