[Tagging] Discouraging frequency=* on power lines and cables

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Thu Mar 9 17:46:22 UTC 2017

Hi David,

Am 09.03.2017 um 06:35 schrieb David Marchal:
>> Le 8 mars 2017 à 23:04, Michael Reichert <nakaner at gmx.net> a écrit :
>>
>> Please keep OSM simple. I don't want to add a power route relation on
>> every tiny minor distribution line/cable (230 V).
>>
> Totally agree with that. I don’t understand the usage of a relation binding the distribution network elements: the connections between them can be retrieved from the nodes and ways, and the relation would merely be use for group tagging. IMHO, the relation would only make sense for transport lines, which are often viewed and treated as continuous, even if their characteristics change along their path (overhead, underground…). At a distribution level, however, this sounds overkill to me.

I am not against the usage of power route relations in general. There
are lots of cases where they are useful. The Elbekreuzung 2 (Elbe
Crossing 2) is a simple and nice example why they are necessary: Most
cables of that line are 380 kV AC but four of them are used by DB
Energie GmbH for their 110 kV 16.7 Hz to supply traction current for the
electrified railway line(s) in Schleswig-Holstein.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbe_Crossing_2

I just don't like the necessity to add route relations to every power
line just to indicate its frequency.

Best regards

Michael