[Tagging] New access key for Segway needed

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 07:49:08 UTC 2017

wow, that's a good question. Wikipedia classifies a Segway device as a
personal_transporter and that would seem to be a good place to start. But
how to avoid confusion with wheelchairs and the like?

I like gyropode even more. The English Wikipedia doesn't contain that term
as yet but the French section does. It's a better term IMO because it
specifically relates to the self-balancing aspect of the transporter device.

-1
Hoverboard. Although there are devices called "hoverboards" that resemble
the Segway (which I was unaware of until I looked just now), I tend to
think more of an airborne transporter, like a hovercraft when I hear that
term.

Cheers,

Dave

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Dalibor Jelínek <dalibor at dalibor.cz>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> the center of my beautiful city of Prague has been marked in a large scale
> recently by new road signs stating
>
> that use of Segway PT and similar devices is prohibited there.  (Search
> google - images for “zákaz segway”.)
>
> I guess that some would like to map these.
>
> The discussion is here https://wiki.openstreetmap.
> org/wiki/Talk:Key:access#Segways
>

> The obvious access key to use for me would be {{Tag|segway}}, but there is
> an objection
>
> that we should not use trademark.
>
> Is there a generic (but usable for OSM) name for Segway-like family of
> devices used in English?
>
> Gyropode?
>
> Hoverboard?
>

> Thanks,