[Tagging] Landuse for vacant lots

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 13 22:13:15 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 11:55:24AM -0300, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:
> > I favor "landuse=disused".
>
> English is not my primary language, but it seems a little contradictory here.
>
> "landuse" says that a specific piece of land is being used for something.
> Then "disused" says that it's being used for nothing.

I have had problems with this rather literal interpretation of disused.
I have tagged certain quarries as 'disused' because stone is no longer
being harvested. But those quarries are still quarries, are still major
features on the landscape with 100s of metres of quarry faces, and
massive spill heaps. People do walk there, and sometimes there is
informal rock climbing in some of them, but they are not in proper use
for any other purpose: they are quarries.

Yet some people object to them being rendered on the basis of the
superficial contradiction that you highlight.

Maybe we need a tag=out_of_use or some such?  But that is open to the
same literal objection.

ael