[Tagging] address property of features

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 10:03:30 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 19 Mar 2017, at 07:39, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This goes back to the long unresolved question on whether addresses are: (1) features in themselves (so each address must be uniquely represented in OSM and never duplicated), or (2) simply attributes of other OSM features (so tag multiple objects with the same address if they have the same address).

IMHO they are both, properties of other features but can be features on their own. Every address should exist just once, similar to how every route should exist only once (e.g. motorway 1), but it doesn't mean there will be only one object in osm with ref=M1 (e.g. if you add the ref to the ways which are part of M1 rather than to a relation for both directions). If something only exists once in the world does not mean we can't have several objects pointing to it.

Cheers,
Martin