[Tagging] Adding directionality to stop signs

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 11:57:41 UTC 2017

> I am inserting them in quantity, but only in the simple way of a node on
> the way. "My" stop signs apply to the nearest junction. This should in
> principle allow a routing algorithm to determine the directionality of the
> sign. I would consider having to create (and manage) relations for this
> tedious, and error prone in case of editing.

True, but sometimes it's hard to mark the node in the right position AND to
put it so that it is closer to one end than the other. Think of very short
ways, for example.

I'll say once again what is common to hear when discussing relations: it
should all be a matter of editors' support.

> BTW the Stop sign is even more frequent in Italy than in the US, but it
> influences much less the travel time, because drivers simply don't stop
> most of the time, contrary to the practice in the US, or Germany, or the UK.

Don't confuse the give way sign with the stop sign. Stop requires the
driver to stop, even in Italy. Sure, many people don't, but that doesn't
mean they should :)

Ciao,

Simone