[Tagging] Starbucks or Starbucks Coffee

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Tue Mar 21 21:35:49 UTC 2017

Javbw
> On Mar 21, 2017, at 6:40 PM, Jherome Miguel <jheromemiguel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Why long names appear on Starbucks stores in Japan when seen on Google Maps is that the data there is from a third-party map provider, i.e. ZENRIN. Google discourages such locators as messy, like what you stated, and descriptive, but they kept the data from ZENRIN as they are on the original, though the map data may conflict with Google Maps POI naming guidelines.

That was my guess too - but the Zenrin data seems to be the old "square" POI pin that is uneditable. In the last 18months they have a new series of pins that sit over the old "square" POI pins that seem to pull from a different database. Those are editable by users, and often have better names. The his leads me to guess they are from a different data provider - or cleaned up like Apple Maps.

A good example of this is a 7-11 near my house. They have been remodeling the 7-11s by building a new one behind the old one, then tearing down the old one to give the new one a bigger parking lot than it had before.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZWiPrLEB6CH2

I can't edit the old "square" POI, nor report it as an error, but I can fully edit the new one.

Seeing as the new one has a long name - maybe you are right! But there seems to be two different POI databases in use.

Is the Google Maps guideline to cut off the "branch" location name, leaving only the brand name?

I know this isn't the google maps tagging list, but I didn't know that that was a guideline.

Javbw.