[Tagging] traffic_signals:direction=* vs. direction=*

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 12:44:50 UTC 2017

> As the "complex intersections" section of the highway=traffic_signals
> page describes a gradation of model complexity
> (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%
> 3Dtraffic_signals#Complex_intersections),
> maybe coexistence is also possible between simple tagging of a
> highway=stop+direction=forward node on the way to an intersection and a
> complex relation-based model for more complex cases: having a simple
> model that covers most cases has such significant benefit that I would
> say it more than offsets the cost of having more than one way to do it.

If we choose to trade off  stability / disambiguity / reliability for a
little less complexity (no relation), the better solution is positioning
the node for the sign not on the highway but in the driving direction close
to it to the side (could be sold as "actual sign position" save some
exceptions). This way you have the direction implicitly stored and don't
depend on other ways, but there is the risk of someone dragging the node
with the sign or the highway so far away that another (unrelated) highway
comes closer.

Both variants require postprocessing anyway (either you have to look for a
closeby highway or for the direction of the way(s) your node is part of).

Yet another option would be to use tiny way stubs for the signs, these
would have a direction (and could even imply a default sign direction if
defined like that).

Cheers,
Martin