[Tagging] Spillways

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Mar 23 13:39:07 UTC 2017

Javbw
> On Mar 22, 2017, at 9:42 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:
>
> Also, presumably emergency spillways are mapped as areas, rather than
> lines, but they probably should have both, to have the water network and
> show the area.  The one I am familiar with is really large

OSM has a lot of objects originally represented by ways that eventually became possible to represent with areas - river+riverbank is a good example.

I would like to:

- document waterway=spillway.

- create a spillway=(main/ secondary emergency) or similar sub-tag.

- create a tag for mapping the extent of spillways.  (Waterway=spillway_area ?)

- create an area tag to go with dyke. (Man_made=dyke_area ?

- Figure out how to map water control gates, the tiny hand-cranked vertical ones or the big sliding curved ones.

Any feedback on these 5 points?

Javbw.