[Tagging] Traffic sign's relevant direction: direction=* vs. relation [Was: traffic_signals:direction=* vs. direction=*]

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Fri Mar 24 14:22:44 UTC 2017

> On Mar 24, 2017, at 7:04 AM, Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 00:15:41 +0100
> yo paseopor <yopaseopor at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I prefer the subkey :forward / :backward because then we save one
>> pair of key=value we can use to put the future unification of the
>> meaning of traffic signs groups.
>
> I was thinking about unifying using direction=* for all of them
> starting now... But well - yours is an alternate way, which I find
> acceptable too.

It seems to me that having multiple orthogonal semantics for “direction=*” is less than ideal. If “direction= forward | backward” is retained and promoted for a node that is on a way, then alternatives to “direction = N | NE | E | SE | S | SW | W | NW | 0-360” be promoted for nodes that are not on a way.

We now have three related threads on this general topic at present: “The direction= tag”, “traffic_signals:direction vs direction=*” and “Traffic sign’s relevant direction: direction-* vs. relation”. It is not clear what we have gained by spitting the original topic into multiple parts.