[Tagging] traffic_signals:direction=* vs. direction=*

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 15:43:22 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:57 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> generally it is unsafe to rely on a "direction" like forward or backward as
> tag on a node. Nodes do not have directions, and there is no relation from a
> node to a single way, the relation is from a way to a node and many ways can
> reference the same node, that's not an error. Will it become forbidden to
> split ways on nodes with stop sign or traffic signal tags, because it breaks
> the information tagged on those nodes?

I've been adding maybe hundreds of stop & give ways signs with a
direction and never had a problem that there was a split of the way at
the node where the stop sign had to come.
Are you talking about theoretical cases, or do you have examples where
the way has to be split at the stop node ?

m.