[Tagging] natural=bay on areas

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 11:02:24 UTC 2017

On 27 March 2017 at 21:35, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> as there's the coastline as well, it shouldn't produce any problem to remove
> natural=water from the bay. We generally don't add natural=water to the sea:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/148455492#map=13/-33.9809/151.2086
> because they're dealt with by the coastline rendering.

The problem is this bay, is not part of the sea or the ocean.

See https://snag.gy/h51wM0.jpg. The blue area is Botany Bay, the red
is the coastline, and the yellow is the sea and ocean.

The coastline shouldn't go on the inside of the bay, as it's not the
coast. Shoreline yes, but the coastline is only on the coast in red.

Outside Botany Bay you have the Tasman Sea.

On 27 March 2017 at 21:51, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:
> Bays are by definition parts of waterbodies and not independent
> waterbodies so they should not be tagged natural=water.  The waterbody
> they are part of should of course be tagged either natural=water or be
> outside the coastline if it is a maritime bay (as in this case as
> tagged by https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/46829336).

What water body is Botany Bay https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botany_Bay part of?

I don't think it's right too tag the inside of the bay as coastline.
"A coastline or a seashore is the area where land meets the sea or
ocean" the inside of the bay isn't the sea, hence the water/land
boundary isn't the coastline.