[Tagging] Very large multipolygons

Tobias Wrede list at tobias-wrede.de
Tue May 2 09:45:47 UTC 2017

Am 02.05.2017 um 11:05 schrieb Frederik Ramm:
> Hi,
>
>     I have removed three very large multipolygons from OSM today.
>
> * I DELETED a "place=sea" for the Adriatic Sea
> (http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4590486) because I think we
> shouldn't even start with that kind of thing (place=ocean name=Atlantic
> anyone?).

I don't concur. True, it's very disputable where to draw the boundaries
but sea areas have long-standing and daily used names the same way as
other named places with vague extent (forrests, mountains (not peaks),
desserts, meadows, neighbourhoods to name a few). So why not sea areas?
In fact, I am missing more of these. I have often tried to look up such
features and had to resort to Google maps to find out.

Maybe it's wiser to use a place node (like Skaggerak
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4789456526#map=9/57.8572/8.9511) than
an area but I would not delete the information  completely.

Tobi