[Tagging] Time is now: tag ALL traffic signs in OSM

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sun May 21 13:23:12 UTC 2017

Javbw
> On May 21, 2017, at 8:36 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> IMHO this linking is done by spatial proximity (and sign orientation). In reality there are no more indications to where a sign applies than their proximity and orientation. There is no other link.

+1

Similar to how junctions have names and ref=* - we apply the relevant information to the node or way of the road, not through the node for where the sign tells us it is off to the side in the landscaping or overhead way for the gantry sign.

Most of the more straightforward signs are already going to have the data shown in OSM already via common tags - but mapping the placement of signs - any signs - is just the same as we can map any tree if a mapper feels like it, and can adapt to any tree.

With the unbelievable range of signs, we should be able to map them.

But the (practical) effects of the sign (a speed limit, for example) is on the way already, and the ending of such a speed limit or passing restriction is clear or murky regardless of the existence of the sign - the problem of where to stop tagging that information on the way isn't affected by the presence of the sign tag being in OSM or not.

Warning signs - not restriction signs - such as stop ahead, curve ahead, falling rock, animals, etc do present a chance for the presence of the sign's node to offer a notice to whatever is parsing the way Data and present that to the driver/user when in proximity to said warning.

"Stop ahead" signs in Japan are really strong  in some places  because perpendicular roads meet in rice fields where people may be used to being on the road with others stopping for them. Having the mapped sign *could* be beneficial to a way because the warning is usually for that spot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbw/11091338426/in/album-72157638113676925/

(To-ma-re, like putting S-T-O-P on 4 signs before the triangle-shaped stop sign)

But even that could be a property of the way rather than inferred by the point proximity of the sign (because I assume the sign node  will be placed with precision not where it is actually located, rather than on road's way, because this is micromapping, after all)

Javbw.