[Tagging] Time is now: tag ALL traffic signs in OSM

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sun May 21 19:47:04 UTC 2017

On 21.05.2017 14:05, Colin Smale wrote:
> So, in simple language, WHY do we put traffic signs into
> OSM?

The use case I'm interested in is having the location of the physical
object available, e.g. for 3D rendering. This is also why I'm in favour
of placing signs in their actual on-the-ground location.

I also find it useful to know the exact traffic sign combinations that
the other tags are derived from, as ambiguities in tagging can cause
that information to be muddled (e.g. the path/designated/official
issue). If it's only about that use case, though, I tend to use the
traffic_sign tag on ways, rather than separate nodes.