[Tagging] Time is now: tag ALL traffic signs in OSM

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon May 22 06:31:26 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-22 07:46, Marc Gemis wrote:

> As for the useage of the data: inventory for towns so they know how
> many signs of a particular type are found within the town limits.
> Newspapers could use it in "there are X number of signs that need to
> be replaced for this new law".

Couldn't they just ask, possibly using "Freedom of Information"
legislation?
This case would not require very accurate positioning at all. I wonder
whether this is a good use case for OSM.

> When we also draw the sidewalks as areas, nagivation software could
> take the position of the poles into account to calculate routes for
> wheelchairs or trollers in case the sidewalk is becoming too small at
> a pole.

All that is needed for this, is a "highway=pole" node, or even
"highway=obstruction", which would have the advantage of being able to
cover other things like street lights and waste bins.
This case would require very accurate positioning and good mapping of
pavements to be useful, but associating the pole with a road is not
required.

Neither of these cases are for the car drivers...

//colin