[Tagging] winter tyres

Michal Fabík michal.fabik at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 09:54:00 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Technically, this looks fine, but is it really necessary to specify
>> that winter equipment is required in winter?
>

> It really depends on the area. Clearly in Russia, you wouldn't have to tell
> anyone that winter equipment is required in winter, in Italy, you never need
> winter equipment in the lower elevations, but you will need it in the hills
> and mountains, hence they put up signs for the ignorant to remind them.

I don't think I understand. A traffic sign such as this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_tire#/media/File:CZ-C15a_Zimn%C3%AD_v%C3%BDbava.png
just says "winter equipment required". It's implied that the driver is
supposed to know (or look up) when the requirement applies. There's
going to be more signs at high-altitude roads and fewer to none in the
lowlands. No matter what the road's altitude is, it's always the
winter season when the winter equipment is required, not any other
season.

If the sign itself specifies a time range, then it makes sense to tag
that, otherwise I see no point.

If a country has a blanket rule that during such and such period all
vehicles on all roads must have winter equipment, there aren't going
to be any signs at particular roads, hence no tagging at all (we're no
tagging legislation).

Regards,

--
Michal Fabík