[Tagging] winter tyres

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Nov 1 18:47:16 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 3:03 AM, Michal FabĂ­k <michal.fabik at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 10:29 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > possibly something like 'motor_vehicle:conditional=winter_equipment @
> > winter'
>
> Technically, this looks fine, but is it really necessary to specify
> that winter equipment is required in winter? Besides, I'm not sure
> about the precise meaning of "winter" when using the opening times
> syntax, but in many countries, the restriction applies roughly from
> mid-autumn to mid-spring. If a consumer decides to interpret "winter"
> literally (21st Dec - 20 Mar), it's going to be off by a long margin.

I'm willing to have consumers err on the side of caution in such cases.
I'm pretty experienced with driving in almost all conditions North America
can throw at people.  The three things that still make me the most nervous
about driving are 1) winter travel, 2) open desert travel away from a
freeway, and 3) winter travel in the high desert.  These things aren't
exactly for the casual since it really doesn't take much for any of those
things to go from a boring drive to survival camping indefinitely in
extreme conditions.  So, when the information available to the consumer,
the consumer shouldn't suggest Granny drive from Butte to Boise via
Beartooth Pass in January.  Casual travelers can and have followed
automated directions to their deaths where desert and winter driving
conditions exist, so Asimov's First Law of Robotics is a very healthy
consideration for consumers.

Data consumers should at least prompt "do you really want to go with this
route?" during the winter on routes that are restricted in winter, and
reject on routes closed in winter (or at least throw an "are you sure?" on
winter road restrictions; after all, they could already be in trouble in
conditions where tracking their own path in isn't possible to get back out
(ie, after a blizzard), and being able to orient to a more reasonable
location for rescue might be the best opportunity for rescue if they've
already got themselves stranded).  In either way, can't hurt to also warn
when approaching the conditional if the exact conditions aren't known to
the consumer (ie, a wet road speed limit if the consumer can't/doesn't
check the weather; or a variable speed limit if there's no way that the
consumer can tell what the real limit is until the sign is seen, or that
you're approaching a potential winter restriction or closure in winter so
decisions can be made (anything from slowing down so a hidden speed bump
doesn't rip a muffler off to not barreling into a wall of snow where winter
maintenance ends).