[Tagging] passage only on low tide

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Nov 4 20:10:10 UTC 2017

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 5:45 AM, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> I guess this must be a bridge, with a physical limitation? Or is there a
> "legal restriction" with a sign saying "no access except within 1.5 hours
> of low water?" What is actually the real-world scenario behind this?

 http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/24369838 is famously passable only at low
tide (though I wouldn't include "(route submersible)" in the name=* tag,
name is only supposed to be the name, not the ref, not access information...

All Oregon ocean beaches (which, oddly enough, are not well mapped) are
state highways below the hide tide line where not otherwise posted, and are
only passable at low tide as a result (it's legal to park above the high
tide line, as for vehicular purposes, it's considered the highway
shoulder).  There's also dunes that are part of the state highway system
under the auspice of the state parks service in that state (Oregon Dunes
State Park is rife with these).