[Tagging] tower types, cooling towers etc.

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 09:35:54 UTC 2017

I just noticed that the tag
man_made=cooling_tower is deprecated. The template says the reason is on
the deprecated features list, but actually there is no reasoning there.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dcooling_tower

The suggested alternative tagging with man_made=tower is _contradicting_
the tower definition and frankly it doesn't seem reasonable to tag things
as different as towers (watchtowers, defensive towers, communication
towers, ...) and "large chimneys" / "heatexchangers" with the same main tag.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dtower

Looking at usage statistics, both variants are growing.

There are also other values for tower:type that contradict the
man_made=tower definition (or have at least illustrative imagery attached
that doesn't fit), namely the values

- "siren" (not discussed or voted AFAIK, low usage),

- monitoring (very low usage, is also competing with monitoring_station),

- communication (what is the difference to "man_made=communication_tower"?
The image is not a tower according to OSM definition).

- multifunctional (WTF?), lowest imaginable usage

- radar

- climbing

- diving

- lightning_protection

Why would we want to put all this completely different things into the same
main tag, are there good arguments? May I ask for a little bit more of wiki
editing discipline? For example the tag tower:type=multifunctional has 6
uses and never had more. I don't recall it being discussed on this list.
Why would someone add it there?

Cheers,
Martin