[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Metro Mapping

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Fri Nov 10 16:26:07 UTC 2017

José G Moya Y. wrote:
> How do you map this situation:
> You can enter with wheelchair to Pacifico Metro Station metro line 1.
> You can enter with wheelchair to Pacifico Metro Station line 6.
> You can't go with wheelchair from line 6 to line 1 (or vice versa) without
> paying
> your metro fee again. To do so, you have to go by foot.
> (This is a common accesibility problem on old metro stations in Madrid).

Thanks for the question. The short answer is, you could not before and won't be able if the proposal is accepted :) Of course you should put wheelchair=yes on all subway_entrances. You should map obstacles on the way from platform to platform, preventing people with wheelchairs from transferring, if you can.

But currently there is no way to mark two stations (or separate platforms inside a station) as being in an interchange. The proposal offers a way, by grouping all interchange stations in a stop_area_group relation. But that is a collection, not a route: having a wheelchair=no on the relation would not make sense.

I doubt we can invent a way to map individual routes between transfer stations that is easy to map (not a pair of relations on every two stations), easy to use (unlike footway and steps ways) and does not interfere with current mapping practices.

Ilya