[Tagging] tower types, cooling towers, etc.

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 17:18:14 UTC 2017

> I also like the idea of having all towers under one tag, for the same
> reason as marc marc.

can you expand, which kind of "all towers" you mean here. Is this including
light towers, water towers, power towers, bell towers, air traffic control
towers, cooling towers, drop towers? Are you going by the name? E.g.
there's the tower of London, but it is tagged as a castle currently, would
you suggest to retag it as tower?

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/370870741

> I would also like to point out that tower:type=communication_tower is
> redundant.  Tower:type=communication is sufficient.

they are describing (physically) very different features, that only have
the same or similar function from a specific abstract point of view (radio
communication, actually broadcast = oneway communication). As they are both
only about radio communication, I find the name generally not well chosen.

Cheers,
Martin