[Tagging] tower types, cooling towers, etc.

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 18:07:09 UTC 2017

> Le 17. 11. 17 à 17:30, Martin Koppenhoefer a écrit :
> > I'm setting up a proposal,
>
> Please read Francois's reply.
> How to map a tower where the usage is unknwon or multiple ?

you can still use man_made=tower if unknown, "multiple" will not really
happen, or mappers will decide which is the significant class.

> I find better to have a "step by step" tag
> You see a tower ? you map a tower.

yes, just that "tower" is very generic and there are many things that all
are some kind of towers, but do not have to be in the same main tag in OSM
(and often aren't). You see a road? That's not enough for mapping in OSM,
you also have to say which kind of road. Same with towers.

You see how it's used ? you add a tag for its usage.

+1, usage is a completely different thing and I completely agree with
François. man_made=lighthouse, amenity=restaurant.

Cheers,
Martin