[Tagging] winter tyres

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 09:13:22 UTC 2017

> I believe the question remains whether "winter_equipment" is sufficient or
> if we want to distinguish. e.g. between winter tyres and snow chains or
> spikes. There might also be different regulations for different kind of
> vehicle, e.g. hgv, motorbikes, ...

IMO, if the sign is a generic one like this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_tire#/media/File:CZ-C15a_Zimn%C3%AD_v%C3%BDbava.png
then map generically "winter equipment", but if it is more specific, like
this
https://www.sicurauto.it/upload/news_/8684/img/2038-cartelli-sperimentali-pneumatici-invernali.png
then definitely we should map what it says, i.e., either M+S tyres or snow
chains mandatory between day X and day Y.

In Italy, for example, the latter kind is way more common, and is very
specific and doesn't require any knowledge of the local law - which (off
topic) should be a requirement of any road sign anywhere: how am I supposed
to know what the hell the first sign means exactly?

> (E.g. in Germany, you will generally have to use winter tyres (at the
> moment still also M+S, but AFAIK they are currently changing this)

Would you care to expand on this? What we commonly call "winter tyres" are
actually M+S (mud and snow) models.

Regards,

Simone