[Tagging] part_of:wikidata key

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 15:08:33 UTC 2017

> But wikidata tags are the way to link to Wikipedia. It's not possible to
> link from Wikidata to OSM, due to the unstable nature of our ids and the 3
> "namespaces" for nodes/ways/relations.

I just got an idea that is either insigntful or stupid, and I'm not sure which.

Wikidata, it appears, wants to have a single, identifiable thing that can
be queried and linked to.

Our data are unlikely ever to have such a thing unless it is a relation
created for the purpose. (For example, don't put wikidata on a street,
put it on a route relation and add the street as a member, because
the street could be split/joined/replaced at any time.) That's rather
messy, but almost unavoidable, given that our object identity is and
must be governed by topology.

But then it occurred to me: our idea of 'Wikidata reference Q314159265'
is 'the set of objeccts tagged with wikidata=Q314159265'. That set
doesn't exist as a first-class object, but isn't that what Overpass is
for?  Would it work to have links into OSM from Wikidata resolved
as Overpass queries, rather than tied to single OSM objects?