[Tagging] Permanent IDs RFC (was part_of:wikidata)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Nov 30 07:28:14 UTC 2017

Ah, I forgot to say: The result of many, lengthy, previous discussions
about permanent IDs was generally: We don't want to shoulder the
responsibility of maintaining a permanent ID in OSM that others can use
for easy linking; instead, those others should be doing that work for
themselves. Hence the idea of "fuzzy" permanent links was born, where
your link is not really a link but a search query:

"A restaurant named Bella Italia in the general vicinity of X", or "The
restaurant that is in this building, if any", and so on. That way, the
person placing the link has to decide which property, for *them*, is the
"essence" of what they're pointing to, instead of burdening us in OSM to
add a ton of IDs to a restaurant object. Some work has been done by
Roland Olbricht (of Overpass API) to make the concept workable, see:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Permanent_ID

Bye
Frederik