[Tagging] How to map public transport routes that start and end at the same place and overlap themselves?

Johnparis okosm at johnfreed.com
Sun Oct 1 06:18:38 UTC 2017

Warin's example is good. A couple of other points to consider ...

1) The "via" tag can be useful. Take a look at Line 5 in Lancaster.
Sometimes it goes "via" Chestnut and sometimes "via" Pleasure, but never
both.
2) If the line has a designated destination, I'd use that. Again, looking
at Line 5, the named destination is "Grandview/Rossmere". Looking at the
actual stops, it seems to me that "Rossmere" is a "via" and "Grandview" is
the actual destination. Looking further, it seems that the Lancaster
Shopping Center is the consistent point, so I would make two relations, one
"to" Lancaster Shopping Center (Grandview) and the other "from".
3) Again on the same line, there is a way that is actually traversed twice
in the SAME direction, the short part after leaving Michaels. This can be
mapped. (See, for example,
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5849581#map=17/31.63434/-8.00037,
where http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/389916567 is traversed twice in the
same direction.)

For Lines 1, 2 and 3, I'd mark them as "to" Park City A (or B or C), with a
"via". For instance, Line 1 would be to (or from) "Park City A" via
"Southeast" with a terminus at Park City.