[Tagging] war_memorial

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 02:58:24 UTC 2017

Thanks everyone for your thoughts re arboretums

Why I brought this up - had a look at the historic=monument tag yesterday
morning, which lead me to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CheckTheMonuments &
http://www.historic.place/themes/monuments/map.html.

That showed 4 monuments in my general area, 2 of which should apparently be
memorials, 1 I'm not sure about & this one:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-28.00759/153.38376.

The "Regional Arboretum" is shown as a monument &, by the conversations
here, almost certainly shouldn't be (maybe it should be a Memorial? - will
have to get up there & check it out on the ground); while the "ADF Grove"
is, almost certainly correctly, a Memorial.

Now, if the Regional Arboretum isn't actually marked as being a memorial to
anybody / thing, & therefore not a memorial, how should it then appear in
OSM? The Botanic Gardens as a whole are shown as landuse=recreation_ground;
leisure=park. From a Google satellite shot
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-28.0070891,153.3834806,174m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en,
the Regional Arboretum is only an open group of trees, so how should it be
mapped?

It's definitely not intended for forestry / logging purposes, so it's not
landuse=forest

It's hardly a forest, so not natural=wood

Doesn't produce anything so not landuse=orchard

Leisure=garden? Garden brings to mind flowers & bushes, not trees, but I
guess it may still apply?

On 5 October 2017 at 09:21, Neil Matthews <ndmatthews at plus.net> wrote:

> Might be a bit too finegrained for some memorial sites, e.g.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Memorial_Arboretum
>
> Neil

I did have a look at the NMA: http://www.thenma.org.uk, & it's shown
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/52.72783/-1.73066 as leisure=park,
with lot's of gardens & memorials spread throughout it, so maybe
leisure=garden is correct?

Thanks

Graeme