[Tagging] airstrip vs runway

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Mon Oct 9 11:47:39 UTC 2017

On Monday 09 October 2017, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> Yes, I had noticed this reference to "practial use", but wasn't
> convinced at first glance. Can you explain how you decide between
> something mapped that isn't and never has been consistent with our
> longstanding tag definition in the wiki, to be "wrong" and at which
> point it becomes "established use"?

No, i cannot - but i do not have to for the purpose of this discussion.
I am just saying that current use of aeroway=runway widely includes
airstrips and i doubt anyone would seriously doubt that.

> Could those things mapped as
> "runways" that are neither on airports (as required by the
> definition) [...]

I am not aware that OSM in any way defines what an airport is.  It is
likely that whatever line you draw between an airport and a non-airport
is not practically verifiable in many cases.

Keep in mind that the mental image of an 'airport', 'aerodrome'
or 'runway' or whatever translation the description of this tag is in
your local language differs a lot from mapper to mapper.  So the only
really meaningful definition is something that describes what something
is in an objective and verifiable form.  In this case it is "the strip
of land on which aircraft can take off and land".  And that mostly
matches current use of aeroway=runway.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/