[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Validity of Route Relations

Michael Reichert osm-ml at michreichert.de
Fri Oct 13 17:11:15 UTC 2017

Hi Andrew,

Am 12.10.2017 um 22:45 schrieb Andrew Davidson:
> Do you want data users to consume this tag? Or is intended for other
> mappers to know when something needs to be updated?

It is their decision what they consume and what not. The primary users
are mappers and validators. But if data consumers see any benefit, they
should not be hindered to use this tag.

> There does appear to be a strong push against using tags that indicate
> something has gone from the map:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:end_date

end_date=* is used on disused objects or objects whose last day of
operation/service is known. Common examples are disused railway tracks
or shops which announced the last day they will be open. The latter
example is mainly used in areas with a high density of active mappers. :-)

The wiki page you linked to discourages the use of end_date=* because
historic information is kept in OSM only until a certain limit. An
object with highway=trunk + end_date=2016-05-21 should be tagged
highway=disused + disused=trunk (or lifecycle prefix instead) and maybe
with end_date=* because data consumers are not used to look on secondary
tags which invert the meaning of the main tag.

I did not choose end_date=YYYY-MM-DD because that tag would imply that
the service on the given public transport line will end YYYY-MM-DD but
that's wrong. timetable:valid_until=* is intended to be an expiry tag
(i.e. you don't have to check this OSM object until YYYY-MM-DD.

> If this is for other mappers then maybe:
>
> 1. note:valid_until=*

note=* is not intended to be machine-readable. Why should any note:*=* be?

> 2. source=* source:date=YYYY-MM (ie: more than 12 months ago needs to be
> updated).

Unfortunately, sometimes timetables or operators change not only in
December but also in June. New (railway) lines or stations are not
always opened at the great timetable change in December. There are
frequent cases when (smaller) stations are opened in the course of the year.

Best regards

Michael