[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Rivers Classification

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Tue Oct 17 16:34:21 UTC 2017

On Tuesday 17 October 2017, Kevin Kenny wrote:

> I concede that 'relative road importance' strains that definition.
> But I fail to see where any conceivable renderer would be able to get
> the information if we don't tag it. [...]

The problem you are probably referring to here is that OSM-Carto (and
other styles) render highway=motorway and highway=trunk from z5 but do
not render highway=primary until z8 which makes the map look ugly in
between with road segments ending in the middle of nowhere because the
classification as highway=motorway/trunk is usually not a measure of
structural importance but based on local physical characteristics and
official road classifications.

Concluding from this that you need an additional tag for roads
indicating a subjective measure of importance to be able to produce a
good looking road map is wrong though.  This is something you can solve
pretty well through analysis of the connectivity in the road network.
And doing so instead of having a static importance tag in the database
would allow you to adjust the method of analysis and thereby the
results to the specific application - like 'i want a map showing only
the frequently used road connections' vs. 'i want a map that also shows
rarely used connections to the remote parts of the country' where there
is much less traffic overall'.

Even if you are fine in principle with having tags that are not
verifiable you should be aware that having an importance tag would
still imply there is only one correct way to measure importance and all
maps should base decisions on this measure.  In other words: Tagging a
subjective importance tag would mean you try to tell others what they
should consider important.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/