[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Street_furniture

José G Moya Y. josemoya at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 22:28:53 UTC 2017

Hi!
I'm just a novice, but after two months following this list I understand
that:

a) Tags are grouped by function. Some street forniture is just for people
to enjoy them, some needs to be located by GPS navigators (traffic lights,
barriers such as bollards) or emergency services (fire hydrants).

b) Some services need to use short tags due GPX file format restriction.
That was the motivation that raised up the proposal on new fire_hidrant
tags. If firemen were upset for having to put complicate
"emergency=fire_hidrant, fire_hydrant:flow_rate=blah blah" tags, imagine
the situation if they need to look for "street_forniture=emergency,
emergency=fire_hydrant..."

c) Street forniture is difficult to map accurately. You need precise GPS
hardware/software (my casual mapping has a 5 meter error margin), you need
precise aerial imaginery (google is now very precise for cities at roof
level, but shadows hide details at ground level), and you have a lot of
objects to map and a very short time until the maintenance contract expires
and the street forniture moves or disappears. That's the reason I map
picnic tables in the wilderness but I don't do it in parks: tables are too
close when inside cities.

I understand that tagging street forniture would be useful for local
authorities, since they (at least in Spain) do not take it in account
before giving permits to new street forniture or street bars, and the final
result is a sidewalk full of obstacles for pedestrians. But moving all
street forniture into a category of its own seems to raise more
difficulties than having it split into separate categories.

Regards.

El 17/10/2017 23:44, "François Lacombe" <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com>