[Tagging] Multiple offices at the same address - (Multiple values for one key)

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 21:16:42 UTC 2017

On 29 October 2017 at 00:25, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Exactly, typical of OSM... If we can't sort this out, we will just
> continue to go round in circles. How does one tell the difference, or which
> type of address is intended? What if we want to put both types of address
> on the same object?
>

> On 28 October 2017 15:56:22 CEST, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 27, 2017 8:03 AM, "Colin Smale" <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Time for a more philosophical discussion... What is the function of this
>> thing we call "address"? Is it to identify a premises? Is it to describe a
>> premises? Does it refer to the whole premises, or just the bit with the
>> front door or letter box? Or is it "where to deliver post"?
>>
>> This is a long-standing issue in OSM. An address is either (1) a feature
>> that can be mapped on its own right and therefore should only exist once on
>> the map, or (2) an attribute or property of some other feature in OSM and
>> therefore can be added to multiple objects that share the same address.
>> Both types of schemes exist on the map right now.

& I must admit to being "guilty" of listing both types of address - filling
in the address details of the type of building / shop / POI & then also
adding an address node, usually on it's driveway.

My reasoning is that my navigation program (OSMAND) doesn't appear to find
street numbers if they're only part of the address, but will if they're a
separate node.

Is it the "right" way of doing things? - who knows & does it matter? What
is the purpose of the map - looking good, laid out neatly & tidily, or
being usable for navigation purposes?

Thanks

Graeme