[Tagging] winter tyres

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Tue Oct 31 15:33:47 UTC 2017

> On Oct 31, 2017, at 7:50 AM, Micah Cochran <mcochran at athensal.us> wrote:
>

> Please check your spelling of tire.
>
> tyre is the correct British English spelling.
>
> A tire (American English) or tyre (British English[...]) is a ring-shaped component that surrounds a wheel's rim to transfer a vehicle's load from the axle through the wheel to the ground and to provide traction on the surface traveled over.
>
> From the Wikipedia article on "Tire".  Thanks Wikipeida!
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire>

Excerpt from my old microprint edition of the Oxford English Dictionary under the word “tire”:

> Probably the same word as prec., the tire being originally (sense 1) the ‘attire’, ‘clothing’, or ‘accoutrement’ of the wheel. From 15th to 17th c. spelt (like prec.) tire and tyre indifferently. Before 1700 tyre became generally obsolete and tire remained as regular form, as it still does in America; but in Great Britain tyre has been recently revived as the popular term for the rubber rim of bicycle, tricycle, carriage, or motor-car wheels, and is sometimes used for the steel tires of locomotive wheels.

So basically the spelling in the UK was ‘tire’ for a couple hundred years and they decided to change it in the case of rubber tires. If OpenStreetMap had started in 1900, we would use ’tire’ rather than ’tyre’. :)