[Tagging] Elevation in Feet as part of Peak Names

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Sep 8 14:39:42 UTC 2017

On 9/8/17 9:34 AM, Richard Welty wrote:
> On 9/8/17 7:08 AM, ael wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 07, 2017 at 03:31:37PM -0600, Mike Thompson wrote:
>>> User Raymo853 and I are having a friendly discussion on changeset
>>> 50470413[1]. He has been adding the elevation of mountain peaks (in feet)
>>> to the name tag. For example, he changed "Crown Point" to "Crown Point
>>> 11,463 ft."[2] While the wiki doesn't specifically address the issue of
>>> elevation as part of a peak name, it does say "Name is the name only"[3].
>>>
>>> Could we get feedback from the wider community on this?
>> +10 for elevation only in the ele tag.
>>
>> As surveying improves or plate tectonics changes, it would be ridiculous
>> to change the name rather than just the elevation.
> adding the elevation to the name tag makes life far more difficult for data
> consumers. don't do it.
to amplify my point, there is a universe of extant and potential data
consumers;
some consumers are humans looking at the map on the website, but other
consumers
are generating GPS maps or other automated things with software. adding
elevation
to the name is a symptom of tagging for the website.
we need to watch continuously for folks who are tagging in this manner, and
get across to them why it shouldn't be done this way.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search