[Tagging] contact:* for review websites

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 11:49:02 UTC 2017

marc wrote: "When the poi has its own website website, adding a lot of tag
containing the pages that talk about this poi makes no sense
and look like seo spam."

There are sometimes good reasons to do this, IMO. I like to add the website
for hotels and guesthouses because the data consumer then can optionally
use the information to help users. Websites often have comprehensive
contact information as well and that means OSM mappers needn't worry about
its currency or validity. We can safely assume the owners will update the
website info as needed which cannot be said for the casual OSM mapper or
end user.

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 3:55 PM, marc marc <marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Le 16. 09. 17 à 00:56, Tom Pfeifer a écrit :
> > I have seen a few mappers recently adding
> > contact:[ yelp | tripadvisor | foursquare ]
> > to businesses.
>
> it sometimes happens that a small shop does not have a own website.
> in this case it is useful to add the page of another commercial
> website containing information about it.
> In this case, I think it is useful to put the url in the url tag.
>
> When the poi has its own website website, adding a lot of tag
> containing the pages that talk about this poi makes no sense
> and look like seo spam.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand