[Tagging] shop=appliance vs. shop=electronics

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Sep 19 21:40:48 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-09-20 at 07:12 +1000, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On 20 September 2017 at 00:13, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:
> > And another one from the ragged edge of tagging.
> >
> > iD has a preset for shop=appliance
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Appliance_Stor
> > e , I
> > assume for shops that sell larger electrical goods washing
> > machines,
> > dryers, fridges and so on (in German so called  "weisse Ware"). It
> > seems
> > that historically this wasn't popular and it was suggested to use
> > shop=electronics
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Delectronics . The
> > later
> > would seem to work reasonably well for the large consumer
> > electronics
> > markets that sell essentially everything from DVDs, over drones,
> > TVs,
> > computers and washing machines. But not for smaller shops that are
> > specialized on just such larger appliances.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Simon
> >

> In Australia, we also have White Goods, which, as you say, are
> primarily big things (but not necessarily coloured white! :-)):
> fridges / freezers, washing machines, stoves / ovens etc, but they
> usually also sell computers, DVDs, music CDs, phones & so on. I think
> "Appliance Store" is correct for them.

In the UK we have mostly used shop=electrical for these shops, we do
use the term White Goods.

The term shop=electrical_appliance(s) may work, but I would avoid using
appliance on it own due to its schoolboy humour overtones.

> We also have (to name one) Jaycar Electronics https://www.jaycar.com.
> au/, which sells plugs, switches & all manner of electronic
> componentry, same as Tandy & Radio Shack do (did?) in the US. I would
> think these would be shop=electronics, although there is also a
> listing for shop=radiotechnics?   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/
> Tag:shop%3Dradiotechnics

All of the Tandy shops in the UK became Carphone Warehouse shops, but
we do have Maplin, which sells electronic components and other
electronics stuff. Definitely shop=electronics, although hobby comes in
there too.

The big white goods retailer was Currys, owned by Dixons, which also
owned PC World. The separation has now gone and the have all been
rebranded as Currys PC World, and sell everything from Washing Machines
to TVs, to laptops,
to mobile phones. Tagging is very confused.

Phil (trigpoint)