[Tagging] Access by permit

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 01:24:59 UTC 2017

I am in total agreement with the proposal as it's been developed in this
thread.

I too am unfamiliar with structuring the voting process but it may be
enough to simply add a new section "Voting" at the end of the page, copying
some boiler-plate from some other proposal, and advertising on this list.
The voting, just like any discussion we engage in on these mailing lists,
is open to debate and the result is AFAIK non-binding. People can do as
they wish afterward.

Many thanks to Kevin for the work you've done on this tag.

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 5:39 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21-Sep-17 06:01 AM, marc marc wrote:
>
>> Le 20. 09. 17 à 20:39, Kevin Kenny a écrit :
>>
>>> Is this a minimal proposal that we can all tolerate?
>>>
>> I do not see any difference between access=permit and (not tag for)
>> access to a sports club : you can go there if you meet certain
>> conditions and generally any sports club allows you to "buy a permit
>> according to their formality"
>> I see no difference with private property either. if you "follow"
>> my formalities, you will have the right to come at home.
>> I think that it would be preferable to improve access=private
>> by adding a tag to describe any means of "overriding" this restriction
>> rather than inventing a new type of access that is between sports clubs
>> are public for the moment), access=private and paying infrastructure
>> like tool roads.
>>

> The primary difference between access=private and access=permit
> is that a formal permit system exists that anyone can easily use.
> Some permits are easy and free,
> some you and I cannot get (unless you are the right tribe or have strong
> cultural connections).
>
> Examples;
> The Kokoda Trail is not 'owned' by the permit authority.
> Here the Trail goes through many villages and is administered by a
> government appointed body.
> The practice here is to get a permit from the authority and not bother
> with the property owners.
> Typically normal people will use a guided 'tour' and that organisation
> will be registered with the authority and get the individual permits.
>
> The Woomera Prohibited Areas (e.g. way 436098551) again are not 'owned' by
> the authority.
> These areas have both the rocket range and property owners.
> The range operators have provided the property owners with shelters -
>  most of the property owners use the shelters as cool places to shelter
> from the heat (as well as rockets).
> Here I would hope that people wanting access would negotiate with both the
> permit system and the private property owner.
> The permit system ensures that travellers are not present when the rockets
> are being fired.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand