[Tagging] Mapping hotels on buildings or areas around buildings

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Fri Sep 29 15:18:26 UTC 2017

Be careful what you wish for!  Here is a list of around 370 other feature types that you will change the meaning of, if areas are always assumed to be property outlines and not building outlines.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=building_area&type= <https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=building_area&type=>

That’s a lot of cleanup challenges...

AFAIK (from memory) the notable exceptions are schools/universities, hospitals, gas stations, and power substations.

(Just to make sure we’re scoping the discussion properly, this is for POI kinds of features, not stuff like `landuse=*` or `natural=*`)