[Tagging] highway=stop and highway=give_way to traffic_sign=stop and traffic_sign=give_way

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Mon Apr 2 10:35:46 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-04-02 at 10:59 +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> traffic_sign is about a traffic sign, the highway=* tags are features
> of a highway, but of course there is a relation between the two (a
> highway=stop will also have one or more traffic_sign=stop which
> relate/s to it, although it/they might be omitted in the map)

As Martin says "traffic_sign is about a traffic sign, the highway=*
tags are features of a highway".

Highway=stop and highway=give_way indicate the position of the
distinctive road markings.

It would very wrong to make the assumption that the existence of either
implies there is a sign, whilst highway=stop is  rare in my part of the
world, give_ways are very common and it is quite common in built up
areas for there to be only road markings and no sign.

An example here
https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=52.859924967289714&lng=-2.7254544102
803493&z=17&pKey=ZZbhkXydUQB51IhnopRo_w&focus=photo

Phil (trigpoint)