[Tagging] Unclear meaning of amenity=bus_station

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 11:43:08 UTC 2018

On 09/04/2018 11:55, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> Currently definition at
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dbus_station
> is unclear, it fits two cases
>
> * intercity bus station (routes between cities, importance comparable
>    to railway=station)
> * terminus highway=bus_stop (routes within city terminate and start
>    here, minor importance, importance lower than railway=halt)
>
> while in my experience tag is used only in the first case (what makes
> sense).
>
> Would it be OK to edit wiki and restrict it only to the first meaning?

Being a bus station or not has nothing to do with whether the routes
from there are intercity or not (though often intercity routes will stop
at a bus station rather than elsewhere) or whether bus routes terminate
or not (though often they will).

I suspect the wiki author is just trying to describe "what tends to
happen at" a bus station rather than defining it.  The picture on the
wiki is somewhat confusingly a combined tram and bus station; maybe
pictures of more examples from more continents would help?

Best Regards,
Andu