[Tagging] Identifying language regions

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Apr 18 22:06:21 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 04/18/2018 09:41 PM, Yuri Astrakhan wrote:
> A relation may span multiple countries (e.g. US and most of Canada for
> English), or split countries (e.g. EN and FR regions in Canada). In some
> cases, the relation will reuse country border ways.

We had a discussion about time zones here recently, and came to the
conclusion that they should not be mapped as separate polygon relations,
but instead that the time zone information should be tagged on the admin
boundaries of a country or smaller entity; and that time zone polygons
in their own right would only be welcome where they don't follow country
boundaries.

I have a feeling that the same will hold true for spoken languages. I
would be very much against trying to establish fuzzy separate regions
for language use, since the exact delineation will not be verifiable.
The question "what is the majority/official language in region X" or
"country Y", on the other hand, tends to have a clear answer.

Bye
Frederik