[Tagging] Identifying language regions

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 19 00:35:29 UTC 2018

what's TSKM ?

for Switzerland, we talk about it a few months ago.
The discussion lacked participants.
but some was thinking that adding official languages on the boundary
could be useful for rendering and tracking officially multilingual
places (name with multiple value is a very heavy (=bad) compromise in
practice, especially since there are several conventions depending on
the country such as the separator which for a (bad) reason of rendering
has sometimes been chosen as" -" instead of the usual ";")

imho maybe with this schema
one language:xx=yes for each official language
or language=xx;yy;zz where xx yy zz are the official languages
but as far as I know, nothing has been done.

It seems to me very complicated to tag the languages spoken in a place
of variable geometry. if two families speaking the same language live in
the same street, could you add this info ?
if not, how many families is enough/needed ?
It's too subjective.