[Tagging] How orphanage should be tagged?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 17:01:55 UTC 2018

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 14:28:09 +0200
Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:

> On 20.04.2018 12:00, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> > I encountered one with amenity=social_facility, JOSM is asking to
> > provide proper social_facility tag (what makes sense)
> >
> > None from https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:social_facility
> > seems to fit so I used social_facility=orphanage
>
> used 17x
>
> > Is there any good reason to use other tag?
>
> The structured approach is
>
> amenity=social_facility
>    social_facility=group_home  (26820x)
>    social_facility:for=child  (1259x)
>
> in combination ca 260x in overpass
> tom

Hm, description at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:social_facility refers to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_home

both https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_home and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphanage (that I checked before sending
my question) distinguish orphanages from group homes.

Maybe Wikipedia link should be removed given that it is misleading.

"Other residential institutions for children can be called group homes,
children's homes, refuges, rehabilitation centers, night shelters, or
youth treatment centers."

"Prior to the 1970s this function was served by institutions, asylums,
poorhouses, and orphanages until long-term services and supports,
including group homes were developed in the US."