[Tagging] How orphanage should be tagged?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 18:56:51 UTC 2018

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 7:23 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

> > On 22. Apr 2018, at 18:07, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The distinction is between living as an individual and living in
> combination with others and sharing some facilities
>

> I have never heard of facilities for orphans where they live individually
> and don’t share facilities,

Neither have I.  Such an individual orphan would be considered to be
adopted (whether temporarily or permanently).

I was thinking of the other uses of group homes.  Particularly for the
elderly.  It's not a matter of size of group,
it's that there are shared facilities and some (at least minimal) care
provision (even if it's only an emergency
button to summon a warden).

> does this imply all facilities where orphans live are group homes? How do
> we distinguish group homes from “old style” orphanages? What is a good
> generic term for the latter? social_facility=institution?

As I understand it, "group home" is a euphemism (or umbrella term,
depending how you view such linguistic
changes) replacing things like "orphanage,"  "old folks' home," "nursing
home" and the like.

Are reformatories or approved schools also to be tagged group homes? Or
> aren’t they social facilities?

Closer to penal facilities than social facilities, to my mind.  How they
get tagged is another matter.

--
Paul