[Tagging] [Documentation] RFC - man_made=pumping_station

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 13:52:17 UTC 2018

Yesterday, as I was wandering around surveying things to map, I came
across a sewage pumping station and mapped it as per
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man%20made=pumping%20station?uselang=en-GB

man_made=pumping_station
pumping_station=sewage
substance=sewage
operator=Dŵr Cymru
name=Cardigan 2 Sewage Pumping Station

Although other updates I made at the same time were rendered, the pumping
station wasn't.  So I had a look on overpass-turbo to find what others had
done.
I found two methods that have been used to make pumping stations appear
(both
seem to be validly mapping what is there rather than being falsehoods to
fool
the renderer) but which are not hinted at in the wiki page

I propose clarifying the wiki page by documenting at least one of these
methods,
possibly both.  However, there may be reasons why this is not a good idea,
hence
this post.

The methods are

1) Tag actual buildings housing pump machinery as building=service
as well as man_made=pumping_station etc.  This approach can be
found here http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/439149633
As you can see, there is a security fence around this which also encloses
a tank which is part of the system.

2) Tag an area, which may be a single building, or a fence around one
or more buildings (and possibly other stuff) as landuse=industrial.  This
approach can be found here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/488574374

Of the two methods, the latter seems better to me.  The pumping station
I found consists of two buildings, an array of 5 or 6 pairs of rectangular
manholes, and a large metal A-frame that can be moved over the manhole
(I think it's for attaching a hoist to remove large objects that find their
way
into the system).  It is the assemblage of those things which comprise
the pumping station and one (possibly both) of those buildings are pump
houses.  If I used method 1 I'd have to flag both buildings as pumping
stations and ignore that the manholes are an integral part of the system.
With method 2 I just mark the whole thing as a pumping station and have
the option of mapping the buildings as building=service if I wanted to give
that level of detail.

However, a little research shows that there is another pumping station
in the area which is just a relatively small metal cabinet, and so
landuse=industrial seems inappropriate.

For comparison I found photos of both online.  The first is
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3264175 although it's out of
date as it doesn't have the second building, there are more
manhole covers now and the A-Frame has been painted
bright yellow.  The second is https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4543486
(I won't be mapping that one until I've checked it out for myself).

It seems to me the options for changing the documentation are:

1) Do nothing.

2) Document method 1 but not method 2.

3) Document method 2 but not method 1.

4) Document both methods, noting that both are seen in the wild, but
do not express a preference.

5) Document both methods, noting that both are seen in the wild, but
say that method 1 is preferred.

6) Document both methods, noting that both are seen in the wild, but
say that method 2 is preferred, at least for installations with multiple
objects.

7) Other.

My preference is for option 6.  Having hung out here for a while, I am
sure some people will disagree. :)  With any luck there will be a
consensus I can go with.

Note: there's a side-issue here.  Is landuse=industrial appropriate?  I
would not regard it as industrial but at the moment we don't have
any value more appropriate.  Also landuse=industrial is used for
other infrastructure such as electrical substations and sewage treatment
facilities.  Therefore I don't intend to deal with that issue at this time
but
bring it up to show I'm aware of it.

--
Paul