[Tagging] Outdoor deckchairs

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 21:47:25 UTC 2018

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 10:22 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 29 April 2018 at 20:36, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>   I think an argument can be made for not calling them benches.  I just
>> think they shouldn't be called deckchairs.
>>

> Daybeds? http://www.timbersteel.com.au/day_bed_maureen_oiled__9_.jpg

That image looks like a fancy bench to me.  And the wikipedia definition of
a daybed doesn't remotely match
the image in the original post: daybeds are usually sprung, have a mattress
and outdoor ones usually have
a roof-like structure to keep the rain off.

> Maybe sun lounge would be a better choice? http://streetfurniture.com/au/
> dev/product/mall-sun-lounge/

In British English a sun loung is a sunroom or solarium with natural
sunlight.

Sunlounger is closer, but the wikipedia article for that says they're
adjustable.

Which reminds me, you probably can't expect the standard OSM renderer/carto
to render it
differently (perhaps not even recognize it) going by what happened recently
when somebody
asked if benches with backrests could be rendered slightly differently (and
even provided
a suitable icon for it).  I didn't consider the reasons given for rejecting
the request were
logical, valid, rational or even courteous.  But if benches with backrests
aren't going to be
treated differently I doubt these things (if we can figure out what to call
them) will be
either.

--
Paul